As a parent, you may not like seeing your baby or child being given an injection, but vaccination will help protect them against a range of serious and potentially fatal diseases.
There are 3 good reasons to have your child vaccinated:
- vaccinations are quick, safe and extremely effective
- once your child has been vaccinated against a disease, their body can fight it off better
- if a child is not vaccinated, they're at higher risk of catching and becoming very ill from the illness
There will always be some children who are unprotected because:
- they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons
- they’re too young to be vaccinated
- the vaccine does not work (although this is rare)
But if more parents have their children vaccinated, more children in the community will be protected against an illness, such as a measles outbreak.
If you do not vaccinate your children then they are at risk